I’ve had the DRZ for almost 2 years. At 145kg wet, it was the lightest bike I’ve ever owned. Even my Pulsar 200NS (160kg wet) was more obese! I purchased it with the mainly for its low weight to build my off-tarmac confidence. I’ve since slapped on some Chinese wheels and converted it from its SM configuration to the Enduro version and took it on some off-road fun. It was unfortunate that it was acquired just before the borders were closed due to Covid-19, and have thus not had the opportunity to take it through some of Malaysia’s beautiful jungles and plantations.
It’s got a newfound home now. Farewell DRZ. Go forth and bring plenty of joy to your new owner!
Why, why, why? Just when we could start gathering in small groups again, the Covid-19 situation in Singapore started popping. We gathered for the first Sunday ride together in weeks – and unknown to us then, also the last for the next couple of weeks (again).
It was time to replace the front brake disc and pads on my DRZ. While the rear pads still appear EXTREMELY chunky, the front pads were thinning. Also, the front brake disc were beyond its wear limits. Minimum thickness was supposedly 3.5mm, and my front disc measured 3.4mm!
One of the BEST mods to make to a motorcycle is to add luggage carrying capability to it. A simple rack / box / bag combo instantly converts the motorcycle from a toy to a utility machine.
While I use my DRZ mostly for dirt riding, I generally dislike the idea of carrying stuff in a backpack. I prefer the freedom of not having something cling onto my back. So I went scouting for a nice rack for the DRZ so that I could find a platform to mount my Ogio tail bag.
Since I had accidentally pinched the inner tube on my DRZ while self-installing tires for the first time, I thought I’d use the opportunity to attempt a patch repair. Good to pick up a useful skill during this Covid Circuit Breaker season.
1. First, look for the puncture site. 2. Then scuff it up with a rasp file or some sandpaper. 3. Apply a generous coat of rubber cement / vulcanising paste. 4. Wait for at least 5mins to allow the rubber cement to dry. 5. Peel off the aluminium foil backing of the patch and apply patch onto puncture site. 6. Stitch the patch by rolling some blunt tool over it. 7. The patched tube is now ready for use!
Since I had to stay home due to the Covid-19 circuit breaker measures in place, and that I couldn’t ride, I decided to do a little bit of bike maintenance. I’ve not replaced the brake fluids on my G650GS Sertao since I purchased it about a year ago. And now with the DRZ in my stable, I thought I’d take the time to get the brake fluids replaced.
Since it was easier on the DRZ as there’s no ABS pump to deal with, I started with the Zee. Connected the bleeder valve kit to the brake bleed valve and started pumping away.
Took the dirt-ready Zee for a spin and – boy! What a surprise! The 21″/18″ wheels and the Dunlop’s handled the dirt beautifully! Yeah – I know, I could have gotten a proper dirt bike. But since I managed to get the Zee at a great price, thought I’d just spruce it up a little for some dirt fun!
Got myself a DR-Z400! It’s torquey motor, light weight, and Japanese reliability makes it the perfect fun bike! And what better way to enjoy a fun bike than to make some modifications to take it to the dirt!
The first step to making it dirt-friendly is to get a set of larger dirt wheels. The DRZ400 comes in 3 configurations – DRZ400SM, DRZ400S and DRZ400E. The S and E versions come with dirt-friendly 21″ front and 18″ rear wheels, while the SM version has 17″ wheels. So I bought myself a set of S / E 21″ & 18″ wheels for my SM.